Kangaroo Island Snorkelling Tour
Join Kangaroo Island Ocean Safari for an amazing wildlife encounter where you will have the opportunity to swim with wild dolphins or among seals and snorkel some of Kangaroo Island's stunning coastline. Kangaroo Island Ocean Safari gives you the opportunity to swim and interact with cheeky long-nosed seals. Search for the dolphin pods that reside in these coastal waters and take the opportunity to swim alongside them in the wild. A truly unforgettable wildlife encounter. Your friendly guide will also provide informative commentary along the way.
What to expect
Arrive at The Visitor Information Centre in Penneshaw (Howard drive) where you will be fitted into a wetsuit, mask, snorkel and flippers and provided with a safety brief. Then jump on board our 10 seater vessel in search of the marine life that inhabits the incredible coastline.
Spot the cheeky seals lounging on the rocks or playing in the water. Then dive in with them! These curious seals can be quite interactive and playful and are super fun to snorkel with! This tour is the only operator in South Australia that provides the opportunity to swim with the long-nosed seals. The tour will help you spot dolphin pods that live in the coastal waters. If they're feeling playful, you'll also be able to swim alongside them in the wild. A swimmer line with buoys is often used at the back of the vessel for the dolphin swim so you have something to hold onto. Your friendly tour guide will provide informative commentary along the way. This is a truly unforgettable wildlife encounter!
We provide wetsuits, masks, towels, snorkel and fins.
What is included
This safari departs daily at 12:00pm from Christmas Cove Marina.
Kangaroo Island Ocean Safari is an Aboriginal-owned family run business. This is a nature tour and does not include an Aboriginal guide.
- 2 hour ocean safari
- All equipment including - Wet suits, masks, snorkel, flippers and towels for swimmers
- Life jackets
- Infant rates apply to children 2 years and under (not available for swim)
- Child rates apply for children aged 3-12 years (Children must be 9 years and older to swim)
- Adult rates apply for anyone over the age of 13 years.
- Food is not permitted to be eaten onboard the vessel unless given prior approval.
- If you are feeling unwell or display cold and flu symptoms - please ensure you phone us immediately. If you are displaying any signs or symptoms of a cold or flu you will not be able to participate in this activity.
- A swimmer line with buoys is often used at the back of the vessel for the dolphin swim. You may be required to hold onto this line at times with the vessel moving which will require upper body strength.
- These are wild animals and experiences change daily. It's all up to the animals as to how interactive they become.
- If wildlife does not permit you to go into the water on your tour and you are unable to participate in coastal snorkelling, we will provide a refund back to the viewing price.
- Seal numbers vary throughout the different seasons. Numbers peak in winter and are at their lowest from Nov - Jan.
- You need to arrive The Information Centre is located directly opposite Christmas Cove Marina, Penneshaw, where you will depart from.
- This activity is not suitable for those with a pacemaker or those who are pregnant due to the electronic devices being used in the water whilst participating in the swim.
- Children MUST be 9 years or older to participate in the swim with dolphins but children 8 years and over can participate in coastal snorkelling.
- Please note that this swim takes place in open water, therefore it is recommended you have reasonable swimming ability.
Christmas Cove Marina, Christmas Street, Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
What to bring
YOUR EXPERIENCE PROVIDER
An award winning Aboriginal family owned and operated business on Kangaroo Island – this is an experience you will not want to miss.
Owners, Tony and Sandy Coppins have a passion for delivering an exceptional marine based tourism experience second to none.
Tony and Sandy have been taking guests on Ocean Safaris on Kangaroo Island for over 9 years. They are known for going the extra mile for their customers, and will ensure you have fun, are safe and even add a little adventure to your ride!
Tony Coppins is an Aboriginal man and a descendent of the western NSW regions of Australia. His family history is in and around the Barkindji region. His Grandfather was born in Broken Hill and then lived in Wilcannia, NSW. He was later taken from Country and adopted to an Adelaide family, where Tony Coppins was later born. Tony was born on Kaurna Country and works closely with Kaurna community and surrounding mobs.