Full Day Gumbaynggirr Cultural Tour: Stand Up Paddle and Walk
Experience the Gumbaynggirr from land and water on this full day cultural tour with the direct descendants of the world's first stand up paddlers and connect to land and sea through language and stories.
Our tours take place on the homelands of the Gumbaynggirr tribal nation and all of our guides are Gumbaynggirr people or Aboriginal people who have strong family ties to Gumbaynggirr country. This tour includes a stand up paddle tour followed by a cultural walking tour.
Gumbaynggirr country, Coffs Harbour.
What to expect
Enjoy a full day tour starting with a stand up paddle tour followed by a cultural walking tour.
This 4.5 hour cultural tour takes guests on an experience which allows them to learn Gumbaynggirr stories, language and bush tucker from the stunning creek and cultural significant walking locations.
- Learn how our language, Gumbaynggirr came to be in the Dreaming and learn simple Gumbaynggirr phrases
- Follow and engage with a traditional Gumbaynggirr Dreaming story
- Sample bush food delicacies, such as lemon myrtle, yams, pig face (barridamam), honeysuckle banksia (maawa), native sarsparella, paper bark tree (balawungga)
- Engage with the resilience of Gumbaynggirr culture and learn how our culture has been preserved over time
What is included
Please click on the Book Now button for availability and current pricing.
Please note that our tours require a minimum of 4 to run, in any case that this number is not met we will contact you to reschedule or cancel.
**COVID-19 PROCEDURES IN PLACE:
- The tour will run with a maximum of 8 people and one guide.
- People will keep 1.5 metre distance between them.
- By clicking BOOK NOW this is a pre-booking with a confirmation needed to check up to date State Government operating rules and restrictions.
- 1.5 hour paddle tour
- 1.5 hour walking tour (Giingan Cultural Experience)
- Morning tea/Afternoon tea
- All paddle boarding/kayaking equipment, life vests, rash guards
What to Bring
- Hat and sunscreen.
No fitness level or SUP/kayak experience is necessary to participate in our tours. Our qualified instructors provide a SUP lesson at the commencement of each tour in order to ensure a highly enjoyable and safe experience for all.
Children Age 8-15yrs must be accompanied by an Adult
Young Children Ages 3-7yrs must share boards with their accompanying adult
Planning for your trip:
- Bring appropriate clothing for the water.
We ask that guests:
- Use marine friendly sunscreen.
- Do not take anything along the way, we leave everything as we found it.
- Do not feed any of the wildlife.
- Tour is weather dependent so please keep updated.
- Please bring a reusable drink bottles
Time and location varies. Please contact Waajana Yaam at least 24hours prior to your tour to confirm the exact time and meeting point.
What to bring
Hat Sunglasses Sunscreen Swimsuit Towel Water bottle
YOUR EXPERIENCE PROVIDER
Wajaana Yaam Gumbaynggirr Adventure Tours offers guests an immersive experience into the Gumbaynggirr culture lead by knowledgable Aboriginal guides.
Our Stand up paddle or walking tours are held in the Split Solitary Island Marine Parks with pristine creek waterways of the Orara East State Forest. The tour is 2.5 hours and includes traditional stories, bush tucker, language and important sites.
Wajaana Yaam translates to ‘from this country’ in the local Gumbaynggirr language.
By undertaking our tour you contribute to the well-being of our community. Our social enterprise provides an employment pathway for our youth and community members through knowledge of language and culture. Furthermore, a percentage of our profits are invested in bmnac.org.au in order to ensure that our youth are ‘2 path strong’ – strong in culture and strong in education.
So yilaami! Come and have fun, connect with country and contribute to our community.