Kaarak Dreaming is owned and operated by Maitland Hill, a proud Aboriginal Nyoongar Balardong marman (man), with strong traditional connections to the Aboriginal peoples from the South West of Western Australia. His traditional cultural bloodlines are connected to the tribal regions of Balardong, Wilman and Kaniyan in the South West of Western Australia.
Maintland’s connection to Boodja (country) runs along an Ancient Dreaming Trail known as a Songline to Aboriginal people. He lives on that Songline in a small town called Dwellingup which is in the tribal region of Wilman, which was his grandfathers’ country before him. Dwellingup is the perfect country escape just 1.5 hours drive south from Perth.
Dwellingup is a sacred spiritual dreaming place for Maitland and his ancestors and is how Karaak Dreaming Maitland’s Cultural Tours was created, to share his cultural katadjin (knowledge). Maitland is passionate about his culture and enjoys taking people on a journey back back in time to explore the ancient ways of his ancestors.
Maitland’s tours are richly steeped in cultural authenticity and include Nyoongar dreaming stories about spiritual beliefs, including animal totems. Maitland’s spiritual totem is the red-tailed black cockatoo, the Kaarak, in Nyoongar language. Kaarak Dreaming Maitland’s Cultural Tours business name is respect for his totem, and for his country. Maitland wears the red-tailed feathers in his hair or hat as respect for his totem, the Kaarak. Dwellingup is also home to the red-tailed black cockatoo.
- Step into the dreamtime and learn about ancient dreaming stories and join in a yarning circle.
- Experience Nyoongar culture and history.
- Discover traditional ways of reading the land and join in sand-mapping.
- Learn about Nyoongar bush medicinal plants and native foods.
- See traditional fire making and join in a smoking ceremony.
- Listen to the didgeridoo being played while enjoying billy tea and damper.
- Join Maitland in painting on Country and learn to paint artworks Nyoongar style.
- Be guided on an ancient dreaming trail bush walk while learning about traditional hunting.